Commercial roofing companies apply single-ply roofing membranes in one layer. It is popular in the roofing industry due to its many advantages. This type of system is flexible, easy to install and has competitive pricing.
There are three main types of commercial single-ply roofing.
White TPO Roof, or Thermoplastic Polyolefin
- This system has a reflective, white surface that reduces cooling costs.
- The membranes are available in varying thicknesses and roll widths.
- TPO roofing is environmentally friendly.
- It does not produce chlorine or dioxins.
EPDM Roof, or Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer
- This system is a black membrane, often referred to as rubber roofing.
- It expands and contracts with the building and withstands temperature extremes.
- EPDM systems require minimal maintenance.
- This type of roof is resistant to UV radiation and ozone.
PVC Roof, or Polyvinyl Carbonate
- These systems are easy to install and heat-weld together.
- They provide resistance to punctures and tears.
- PVC systems are well suited for roofs with high exposure to grease, oils and fuel.
- PVC roofs are ideal in areas where acid rain is a problem.
Thermoplastics vs. Thermosets
Single-ply membranes fall into two types of material:
- Thermoplastics can be repeatedly heated to soften and cooled to harden.
- Thermosets solidify after heating.
Factors to Consider
When selecting materials for your roof, you need to consider many components. The height of your building and amount of wind exposure will help determine your specific needs. Cost and aesthetics are also important details contributing to your decision.
Advantages of Single-Ply Roofing
These types of roofing systems are fast and straightforward to install. They have a longer lifespan and maintenance costs are typically low. Single-ply roofing is energy efficient and resists damage from UV rays. Once removed, you can recycle this type of flat roof.
Consult a commercial roofing contractor to help you choose and install a single-ply system such as a white TPO roof for your business.